Summer Book Report

Monday, November 28, 2016


Since I'm a little behind on posting, I thought I'd combine the July and August books into one post. I tried Audible for the first time this summer and it got me back on track to reading my goal of 30 books this year!



First up was Water from My Heart by Charles Martin. It's the first time I've read anything by him, and I'm interested in reading more. This book is a love story, but isn't sappy. So good!

I heard about The Book of Strange New Things by Michael Faber on a podcast and it sounded cool. It's a science fiction/fantasty sort of book where a husband leaves Earth and travels to another planet. He's a preacher and thinks he is going to spread Christianity to a different species. I wasn't a huge fan of the main character, but couldn't quit the book. It was strange but good.

I listened to The Law of Divine Compensation: On Work, Money, and Miracles by Marianne Williamson on Audible. A friend recommended it and it was fantastic!! It talks about a scarcity mindset vs an abundance mindset.

I borrowed As Close to Us as Breathing by Elizabeth Poliner on Overdrive. I love free library books!! This story is about some Jewish sisters and their families. They vacation together but are all affected by a tragedy later. I learned a valuable lesson when reading this book... pay attention to when your library loan is over OR put your Kindle in airplane mode! My loan expired when I was 80% through the book and I had to reborn it (2 months later!!) to finish the last 20%.

I wanted to love Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling. I mean, it's Harry Potter and I love Harry Potter. However, I just couldn't get into this book.

I listened to Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson from Overdrive (free books for the win!). IT WAS AWESOME!! Each chapter is told from the point of view of this little girl and each chapter is just a scene or a short story. Amazing.

I think Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibrahim was a free Kindle book or something. It's about a slave and the white child to whom she is a wet nurse. It might have been better if I was actually reading it, but I listened to it on Audible while doing a massive craft room purge and reorganization. I realized that I don't particularly care for listening to fiction on Audible. The reader used different voices for each character and I found her voices annoying.

I went back to nonfiction and listened to Daring Greatly by Brene Brown on Audible. It's all about being vulnerable and more courageous.





I love reading each and every comment! Be sure to keep up with me on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!
SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment - I love reading all of them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground